Friday, February 1, 2013

Seeking inspiration in the ethereal

Nothing quite spurs creativity like being inspired by a beautiful room, a beautiful book or nature unedited. To kick off this February, I am sharing a few photos that inspire me and provide a constant reminder of beauty around us all just beckoning to be discovered. It merely takes a moment to identify and only a bit longer to embrace.



Take, for example, this boudoir. Immediately, I was pulled into the scene by the early portrait (a severe weakness of mine), the neutral billowing textile simply framing the equally simple bedstead and the darkly painted wainscot. This makes me want to crawl inside the space. It evokes an almost ancient interior, but when inspected more closely, the flooring, side table and lamp add a decidedly more modern aesthetic. It's nonetheless inspiring. Perhaps the adjoining room offers this...



A beautiful table setting in a lofty plastered room. It feels as if it would capture the dinner guest in candlelit splendor spurring on hours of conversation. Note the giant iron pot crane in the fireplace. What's next might add a little more color to the room...



An 18th century Italian gesso carved wood mirror with original plate glass and three colors of original paint (green, red & gold). This very large mirror is in my collection and dates to approximately 1760-90. It is a rare survivor in that it has endured little restoration over its long life. Incidentally, it's currently for sale on my vendor site @ One Kings Lane (www.onekingslane.com). Shameless self-promotion? Perhaps; but I buy and sell only what I love, so if it doesn't sell right away - oh, well. I guess I'll just have to live with it. While visiting Italy in the late 18th century, it could have been this dainty English maiden might have peered at herself in this very mirror?


A wonderful portrait formerly in my collection with which I begrudgingly parted. Well, I did purchase her with the intent of selling, so it wasn't that traumatic, but I love her formal pose; quite typical of this period in English history. She dates to approximately 1770, a miniature painted on copper in an oval shape. She came to me unframed and that never detracted from her beauty. Some might find her a little homely, but I love her grace and regal presence. She could possibly be by the hand of a renowned artist such as Sir Joshua Reynolds, but we might never know. All in all, I miss her.


1 comment: